Second Congregational Preschool
525 Cheshire NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49505
Second Congregational UCC Preschool offers a quality preschool education; we provide a safe, loving, ecumenical environment for young children to play, learn and grow. Creative activities stimulate curiosity and a life long love of learning.
Preschool is a time for fun, building a sense of security, making friends, exploring and discovery. Preschool children are creative and receptive. Our program strives to nurture and encourage these qualities.
The celebration of the seasons, holidays and birthdays are an important part of our curriculum. Opportunities to help with trips, parties and special events are offered for the parents and family. We maintain a food allergy safe environment.
The Second Congregational Preschool curriculum is designed with the interest and abilities of young children in mind. Theme units are used to inspire learning and enhance development. We provide daily activities that build social, emotional, cognitive, creative and physical strengths.
The nationally recognized fine motor skills and pre-writing curriculum Handwriting Without Tears is used. Letter of the Week is used to introduce the alphabet.
Our developmentally appropriate curriculum includes:
- promoting independence
- encouraging a positive self-concept
- sharing conversation time
- reading readiness and language development
- daily snack
- story time
- music, song, finger-plays, and group activities
- creative arts and crafts
- fine motor and large muscle activities
- field trips
- math, science, and nature activities
Licensing and Accreditation
- Licensed by the State of Michigan as a Child Care Center. Licensed since 1955, we are the oldest preschool program in Grand Rapids.
- Accredited by the National Association for Education of Young Children since 2004. Accredited for excellence in Early Childhood Education.
The preschool teachers have degrees in early childhood and elementary education. Each teacher brings a special area of interest and years of experience with young children to the program. The teachers are certified in CPR and First Aid. The teachers regularly attend Early Childhood workshops and conferences.
Second Congregational Preschool and the teachers are affiliated with:
- National Association of Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- Michigan Association of Education of Young Children (MIAEYC)
- Kent Community Coordinated Child Care (4 C)
Second Congregational Preschool does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin. Each student, family, and teacher is provided the opportunity to learn, play, and grow in an ecumenical environment.
We encourage you to visit, with your child, to experience and observe a day at Preschool.
Please call to arrange a day visit!